Wanna Know What the Bible Say About Homosexuality?: Recommending "Jesus, The Bible, and Homosexuality" by Jack Rogers

I first came across the work of Jack Rogers when I was a student at San Francisco Theological Seminary's Southern California program, just getting started on mt MDiv. I was attracted to Rogers because not only was he an evangelical, like me, but he was progressive, like I was beginning to be, and he is an authority on Biblical interpretation (in which I have always been interested). Formerly a professor at Fuller Seminary (an evangelical school which is typically billed as sitting closer to the conservative side of the theological spectrum) and still somewhat on the conservative side of the theological perspective himself, he was also a more progressive voice in the Presbyterian church concerning the issue of homosexuality. This intrigued me because I was suspicious that it was possible to be theologically conservative, or at least evangelical, and to still believe (even on biblical grounds) in the legitimacy of LGBTQ identity and relationships. As the years have progressed, I've become only more convinced of this and Jack Rogers is proof that it's possible.

I just finished reading Rogers' book, Jesus, The Bible, and Homosexuality. In it, Jack Rogers calls for a revival of the biblical approach to homosexuality and marriage. He provides a patient, balanced, biblical, and even evangelical argument for the legitimacy of homosexual relationships and for the full inclusion of gay and lesbian Christians into the life and ministry of the church. I've read other, perhaps fuller exegetical arguments as well as personal and theological arguments in this stream, but never have I found the personal, the theological, and the exegetical woven together in one place so masterfully as in this book. Rogers' perspective is specifically located in the Presbyterian tradition, but from that location his perspective is representative of and relevant to the whole evangelical Christian tradition. Anyone who is interested in what the Bible says about homosexuality should have this book high on their reading list. In fact, as a student at the flagship Presbyterian seminary in the United States and as a member of the United Church of Christ, I'm tempted to say that this book should be required reading for every Presbyterian in America... but I won't say that ;)

Comments